Thursday, January 24, 2008

Gestapo Tactics on the New Jersey Garden State Parkway

Gestapo Tactics on the New Jersey Garden State Parkway

I received a summon for failing to pay a 70 cent toll on the New Jersey Garden State Parkway from the E-ZPass New Jersey Customer Service Center.

I remember the occasion because it was on an automobile trip to south Jersey with my brother on Friday, January 18, 2008. At one toll booth there was no positive response from the machine after I threw my 70 cents into the machine. My brother gave me an additional quarter to throw in the bucket which I did, for a total of 95 cents thrown into the bucket, but we still got no response from the toll both machine to proceed. A sign said when that occurs to honk the car horn, wait 10 seconds and then proceed, which we did.

In fact when I travel on toll roads I bring a baggy with coins in it. We look for signs on how much it is because it does vary along the Garden State Parkway or other toll roads and bridges, and when we find the sign my brother digs the exact change amount from the baggy and hands it to me and I verify the amount before I throw it into the bucket.

I called the customer service phone and was told if I wanted to dispute the violation, I must send them another 70 cents for that particular toll but not the $25 fine and fill in the dispute form on the back of the "Notice of Enforcement Action". I told her that I felt violated in having to send in the 70 cent toll payment and she told me I was getting off lucky in not paying the $25 fine. I told her I was not being personal but I felt screwed and she asked if there was anything she could do for me. She said I do not have proof that I paid the toll. I told her machines occasionally fail and that she does not have proff that I did not pay the toll. And this does not really mean that it is all over because I guess if I do send in my 70 cents it still has to be approved by someone.

It is not the money. 70 cents is not a lot of money. It is all about right and wrong.

Since I received my drivers license in 1965, I tended to avoid toll rolls but now I will work harder to avoid them. When I must use one, I will go to the cash lane of the toll booth and hand it over to a toll booth attendant.

I heard about many nightmares with E-ZPass from their customers and now this. Governor Corzine this must be fixed. I am sure many others cringe when they face this unjustice. You are not going to raise funds by screwing people but you will wind up with lower than expected.

This is just another nail in the New Jersey coffin, another reason for New Jersey residents to relocate to other states.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home